Listed below are the category requirements for The Builders Challenge as well as recommendations on which builder fits each category.
FINEST CRAFTSMAN CATEGORY:
Bigger prizes come with bigger craftsmanship! If you want to step up to the challenge you must include the following in your build:
- *Two types of furniture joinery.
- Pocket holes and butt-joints don’t count toward this requirement, though you can use them in your project.
- As an option, a novel form of joinery is demonstrated in the build plans. Give it a try!
- If you use joinery we can’t see, please post a progress photo with the joinery in your final submission post.
- Use premium wood in a portion of your build. Consideration will be given to skillful grain selection and use. (Flaws can be features!)
- A finish that showcases the natural beauty of the wood. (Don’t hide it behind paint!)
This Category is for the professional or the serious hobbiest. You should be familiar with multiple forms of joinery and intermediate tool use. In order to compete in this category you must:
- Choose two requirements from the Finest Craftsman category to include in your build.
***In an effort to keep this category for the novice builder we reserve the right to review all submissions for category qualifications. If you would like a recommendation about what category to place yourself in, please DM The Builders Challenge.***
This category is for the beginning builder or hobbiest. You should have beginning carpentry experience with minimal knowledge of intermediate tools.
To compete in this category the following is required:
- Basic building knowledge with limited experience.
- Participating in the Challenge to have fun and learn from others.